Bistro One LR French Onion Soup
1 Bay leaf
1/2 tsp Sage, dried
1 Sage, dried
4 Yellow onions, large sweet thin
6 cups Beef stock, good
3 tbsp All-purpose flour
1/8 tsp Black pepper, freshly ground
1/4 tsp Salt
2 tbsp Vegetable oil
1 loaf Bread, crusty
4 tbsp Butter, unsalted
1 Gruyere cheese
1 cup Sherry, dry
- Sweat onions and add water if needed to remove fond from the bottom of the pan continue to deglaze with water until golden brown and caramelized (about 1 hour total). Add garlic and cook until soft add thyme and wine reduce by 2/3. Add stock instructions
- Cut the bread loaf into cubes.
- Spread onto a baking sheet and drizzle with vegetable oil, mix with your hands to coat well.
- Toast the croutons in the oven for 10 until golden brown, remove and allow to cool.
- Stir in the salt, pepper and sage into the onions. Add the sherry and scrape the pan to deglaze and get all the brown bits off the bottom. Cook until the sherry is almost evaporated, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour.
- Add the beef stock, bay leaf and and stir.
- Bring to a simmer and cover for 25 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- Spoon the soup into oven proof bowls, top with croutons and grated gruyere.
- Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly.cook down until flavors have melded together, season and Chill