Bistro One LR French Onion Soup
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp dried sage
4 large sweet yellow onions, sliced thin
6 cups good quality beef stock
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 loaf crusty bread
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
1 cup dry sherry
- Cut the bread loaf into cubes. Spread onto a baking sheet and drizzle with vegetable oil; mix with your hands to coat well. Toast the croutons in the oven for 10 until golden brown, remove from oven, and cool.
- Sweat onions in butter until golden brown and caramelized for 1 hour (add water if needed to deglaze the bottom of the pan). Add garlic and cook until soft.
- Stir in salt, pepper, and sage.
- Add the sherry and scrape the pan to deglaze and get all the brown bits off the bottom.
- Cook until the sherry is almost evaporated, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook 5 minutes.
- Add the beef stock, bay leaf, and thyme. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and cover for 25 minutes.
- Cook down until all the flavors have melded together. Add any additional salt & pepper to taste.
- Preheat broiler.
- Spoon the soup into oven proof bowls, top with croutons and grated gruyere.
- Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly.