Beef Short Rib
1 pound boneless short rib
1 each, carrot 1/2, onion
1 stalk, celery
1 small bunch thyme
1 clove, garlic
2 cups, red wine (reduced by half)
1/2 gallon beef stock
To taste salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat a small, shallow pot or rondeaux. Add a thin layer of canola or vegetable oil.
- Pat the short rib dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Sear the short rib in the pot to brown on all sides. Remove from pot.
- Add the vegetables and brown, season with salt and pepper.
- Add the short rib to the pot with beef stock, wine and the remaining ingredients.
- Cover with aluminum foil and braise for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until tender but not falling apart.
- Allow short rib to cool in liquid and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Next, heat the liquid with the short rib and remove the beef, strain the liquid and discard all the vegetables.
- Reduce the liquid by half to concentrate the flavor and thicken into a sauce.
Portion the short rib into two ounce block size pieces, and gently heat through in the sauce