Exterior view of the Girard Trust Building circa 1916
Photo courtesy of PhillyHistory.org, a project of the Philadelphia Dept of Records.
Exterior Hotel View at Night
The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia is a historic landmark that sits proudly in Center City, close to the venerable City Hall.
The Ritz-Carlton Club Lounge
This delightful oasis on the 30th floor is often referred to as a hotel within a hotel, where a dedicated concierge attends to individual needs in a well-appointed, relaxed lounge environment.
THE HISTORY OF OUR DESIGN
When The Girard Trust Company president E.B. Morris set out to build his company home, he contracted the architectural firm of McKim, Mead and White, best known for their design of the original Madison Square Garden, Columbia University Library, Washington Square Arch and Boston Symphony Hall.
Built between 1904 and 1908, the rotunda and accompanying eight-story tower reflected the neoclassical style made popular by the era’s Chicago World’s Fair. The building transitioned to the Girard Trust Corn Exchange in 1951, the Girard Bank in 1970 and the Mellon Bank East in 1984. At the turn of the century, the historic building was converted into a hotel and opened as The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia in 2000.
An eight-story tower was added in 1923, and in 1931 it was wrapped in steel and marble to reach a height of 30 stories. This building housed the bank offices and board rooms. Our hotel’s Club Lounge was once the Executive Board Room of Girard Trust.
Stairs lead to what is now our Grand Ballroom. Built for ladies to make their “grand entrance” into the vault to retrieve their jewels for weekend social events, the stairs are now warped on one side but no less impressive.