Cocoa Lab’s dessert-oriented classes are open to the public and offer uniquely-chocolate, pastry and dessert workshops presented within the hotel’s behind-the-scenes Bar Cocoa kitchen. Classes are priced at $75 per person per session unless otherwise designated and may be reserved at 704.547.2244.
Cocoa Lab classes may be reserved at 704.547.2244. Participation is open to hotel guests and the public ages 18 and up, and no cooking experience is required. Please note there is a 48-hour cancellation policy. Saturday, February 7, 2015
9 a.m. to noon
This session is ideal for those who cherish the versatility of chocolate. Students will learn about types of chocolate, its different uses in the kitchen, and how to create a delicious chocolate dessert for Valentine’s weekend or a cold winter’s day. The menu includes:
Saturday, March 14, 2015
- Double Chocolate Cream Pie: Bar Cocoa specializes in chocolate, and this extraordinary dish will impress even the most discerning of chocolate enthusiasts
- Rocky Road Chocolate Mousse: Chocolate Mousse need not be completely smooth; adding a rocky road texture enhances an already irresistible taste
- Warm Chocolate Cake with Brandied Cherry Center: Bar Cocoa is famous for its cakes, and this delicious new selection, which includes richly deeply flavorful brandied cherries, caps the day’s menu
St. Patrick’s Day Desserts
9 a.m. to noon
An Irish-inspired sweets menu is presented just in time for St. Patrick’s Day. Students will learn to combine beloved ingredients from the Emerald Isle to create selections for a most fun and lively holiday. The menu includes:
- Chocolate Guinness Cheesecake: Take a splash of ale, add it to chocolate -- and a truly amazing cheesecake is the result
- Irish Banana Bread Pudding: A favorite in Ireland, bread pudding gets a special added touch that makes this dessert addictive
- Chocolate Hazelnut Potato Candy: This charming Irish take on a classic candy is a one-of-a-kind for Bar Cocoa
- Baileys Marshmallows: A delicious touch of Baileys Irish Cream enriches hand-crafted marshmallows – the perfect complement to hot cocoa and other selections
What are the age limits for your classes? Adult Classes: Age 18 and up/Teen Classes: Age 15 – 17
How often do your classes change? You will find that new classes are offered every three months. This will include popular favorites as well as seasonal and holiday classes.
How much food is served in your classes? For our hands-on classes, full-sized portions are prepared and served.
What should I wear to the cooking class? You should dress casually and comfortably. Students should wear long pants, a shirt with sleeves, and flat, closed-toe shoes. We will provide you with an apron to wear during class.
How many people are in the class? As it is a hands-on experience, we limit the class size to eight people.
Will I get a copy of the recipes to take home? You will receive a recipe packet to refer to during class, and it is yours to keep.
Will I make all of the items on the menu? Yes, you will be divided into teams of two, and then each team will prepare the entire menu. The instructor will demonstrate the techniques and provide guidance during the class.
Where do I go once I arrive at The Ritz-Carlton? The meeting point will be Bar Cocoa. The chef will meet you there and take you back to the Cocoa Lab.
Should I register for the class in advance? All classes require advanced registration.
How much does it cost to take the classes? The price of each class varies and is listed in the class description. Prices and length of class may vary by subject.
Do you have a waiting list for sold-out classes? Yes, waiting lists are maintained for all sold-out classes. You will be contacted if a space becomes available.
Do you have a cancellation policy? Yes, it is forty-eight hours.
Do you get a student discount for items purchased at Bar Cocoa? How long is the discount offered? Students receive a ten percent discount after the class on all Bar Cocoa retail items. The discount is good for the entire day of the class.
COCOA LAB GIFT CARDS
Consider a Ritz-Carlton Gift Card, valid for cooking classes at Cocoa Lab, for a loved one, friend or colleague. Please call (704) 547-2244 to purchase a card.