Chef Nicholas (Niko) Anagnostou’s
Fourth of July Recipes
For the Skirt Steak:
Citrus Marinated Skirt Steak / Potato Salad / Chimichurri
1 ½ - 2 pounds Skirt Steak, trimmed of fat
½ Gallon Water
¼ Cup Salt
½ Pound Brown Sugar, light or dark
¼ Cup Fresh Ginger, crushed
1 Tablespoon Coriander Seeds, crushed
1 Tablespoon Black Peppercorns
1 each Orange, Lime, Grapefruit, Lemon
5 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
1 Cup Bourbon Method:
For the Potato Salad:
- Combine the water and bourbon together in a sauce pan.
- Cook on medium heat until small bubbles occur (right before boiling).
- Take off the heat and add the salt, sugar, ginger, coriander, thyme, peppercorns and let cool.
- While cooling liquid, cut the citrus in half and juice. Get as much juice out as possible and keep the rinds as well. Once liquid is cool, add the citrus juice and rinds to the liquid.
- Marinate skirt steak in brine for 20-30 minutes depending on the thickness of the steaks.
- Take out of brine and let dry for 1 hour at room temperature before you cook.
- On a pre-heated grill, grill the steaks to your desired temperature. For a nice medium, 4-5 minutes on each side (depending on the thickness).
2 Pounds Red bliss potatoes, skins cleaned well
3 Ears Corn, kernels removed
6 Strips Bacon, diced
1 Medium Vidalia onion, small chopped
1 Bunch Scallions, sliced
¼ Cup Red Wine Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard (Grey Poupon)
1 Cup Mayonnaise
1 Cup English Peas, Blanched
To Taste Kosher Salt Method:
For the Chimichurri:
- Quarter your potato, place into a large pot and cover with cool water.
- Add 2 tablespoons of salt to the water and cook on high.
- When water begins to boil, check if the potatoes are done by inserting a skewer into the potato wedge.
- When potatoes are done, drain water and cool at room temperature.
- On med low heat, render the chopped bacon, just until crispy.
- Add the onions and corn, cook 5-7 minutes.
- Pour in the vinegar to deglaze the pan and scrap the bottom of the pan to get the “Lil’ Crusties” flavoring your dressing.
- Remove pan from heat, add the mustard, peas, scallions and stir.
- When dressing cools, add mayo, stir and season with salt and fresh black pepper.
- Combine potatoes with dressing, taste and season more if needed.
1 Bunch Parsley, leaves only
1 Bunch Cilantro, leaves and stems
1 Tablespoon Chopped Garlic
2 Teaspoons Salt
½ Cup Olive Oil
1 Teaspoon Chili Paste (Sirachi)
½ Teaspoon Dried Greek Oregano
1 Lime, zest and juice
1 Tablespoon Red Wine VinegarMethod:
- Combine all ingredients except vinegar and lime juice into a blender.
- Blend on high for 2-3 minutes. Scrape the sides down every 30 seconds or so.
- When sauce is nice and smooth add your vinegar and lime juice to taste.
***You may not need all the “acid” from the juice and vinegar. It depends on your palate. To finish:
- Spread a spoon full of chimichurri on the bottom of the plates.
- Divide the potato salad between the four plates, crossing over the chimichurri.
- Slice the steak against the grain (meaning go opposite the lines of the steak).
- Place on potato salad, drizzle more chimichurri over steak and serve.
“The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude.”