The original building of The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna consists of four historic, now heritage-protected, nineteenth century palaces that have been linked together. The magnificent buildings were built between 1865 and 1871 in the prosperity of the Viennese “Ringstrassen architecture”. Schubertring 5, the place where the lobby of the Ritz-Carlton, Vienna is found today, was originally built as "Adels Casino" in 1866. Already in the 19th century the building had the character of a hotel, since noble bachelors had the possibility to stay there overnight. The "Adels Casino" was built by the famous architect Sir Johann Romano, who designed and built further twenty-two buildings around the Ringstrasse. Schubertring 7 was built by architect Anton Ölzelt as a residence for his family in 1865 and was therefore named "Palais Ölzelt".
Today, the meeting area as well as the Dstrikt Steakhouse and the D-bar are located in the historical building. The Palais at the Beethovenplatz 2 was built between 1868 and 1869 by the renowned architect Friedrich Schachner for the family Borkenstein. Lastly, Beethovenplatz 3 was originally built as "Palais Gutmann". Sir Wilhelm Gutmann founded the largest coal company of the Austro-Hungarian monarchy.
Once four separated palaces, it was then GiroCredit, who gradually connected the individual buildings between 1939 and 1970 and used them as bank and office buildings. In 1999, the entire building complex was sold to Erste Bank, which used it as an office building until 2005, before the BAI took over the buildings and transformed it into a hotel.