Skip to Content

HOTEL HISTORY

Vienna is a city of palaces. As the seat of the Habsburgs, Vienna was a center for nobles and the place where they had their palaces built. Until the accession of the throne by Franz-Joseph in in 1848, the city of Vienna was only located inside the city walls, which were at the same location where the Ring Boulevard is located today. It was until 1857, that the emperor decided to beautify his city and to open it to the suburbs in order to increase trade, to strengthen his political power and to improve the status of the less wealthy population. From the middle to the end of the 19th century the construction activity on the Ring Boulevard was particularly strong and the style of this time was named “Ringstrassen architecture”. Some of the most famous architects of the time left their mark on the “Ringstrasse”. It was also during this groundbreaking time, that the buildings in which The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna is located today, were constructed. Nevertheless, the buildings in which the hotel is located today were then four separated palaces with each a different architect, owner and a distinctive function.