Naval Brown Bread
Chewy and dark, this bread gets its flavor from buttermilk and molasses. Has a signature cylinder shape or you can bake in molds of your choice.
1 cup stone-ground polenta
2 cup rye flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup honey
1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
2 1/2 cup buttermilk
5 eggs, lightly beaten
Combine all your dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl combine your buttermilk, honey, molasses and eggs and whisk together. Add the egg mixture into your dry and mix until all lumps are gone. Bake at 330 until center is dry.
Jack Dusty’s Naval Brown Bread
Makes three can-loaves
1 cup Stone-ground polenta
2 cups Rye flour
½ cup Whole wheat flour
2 cups All-purpose flour
2 tsp. Kosher salt
2 tsp. Baking powder
2 tsp. Baking soda
1 cup Honey
½ cup Unsulfured molasses
2 ½ cups Buttermilk
5 Eggs, lightly beaten
Butter, for greasing and serving
1. Grease the inside of three 1-lb. metal coffee cans or two loaf pans. Sprinkle in flour or cornmeal, shaking to coat the inside of the cans. Shake out the excess.
2. Sift the flours, baking powder and soda together. Mix in the polenta and salt.
3. In a large bowl, combine the honey, molasses, buttermilk and eggs. Slowly fold the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix just enough until all the batter is moistened.
4. Pour mixture into the coffee cans or loaf pans. Stir a bit when the mixture is in the cans to release any air bubbles.
5. Cover the cans loosely with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 70 to 80 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before loosening from the cans or pans.
Set out a loaf of this brown bread at dinner time, and watch ‘em come running to the table.
1 tbsp. blackening spice
(1) 6oz. gulf black grouper filet
2 tbsp. olive oil Sea salt to taste
1. Heat olive oil in sauté pan until translucent and hot.
2. Dust grouper filet with blackening spice and sea salt.
3. Add grouper filet to hot pan, turn grouper over after 15 seconds.
4. Cook through.